Blogger Widgets

10/8/12

"What To Do With All This Damn Leftover Turkey" BBQ


leftover turkey, leftover turkey recipes, leftover turkey BBQ
"What to do with all this damn turkey" BBQ

 

This post is another original from Grandma Martini (aka Empress of the Universe).  I LOVE ideas about what to do with leftovers, especially when you can plan on having about a billion pounds of cut up meat with no plans how to consume it.  Enter: super quick and easy day-after Thanksgiving BBQ!

Direct from the Empress' finger tips:

This year marked the 31st time I’ve prepared Thanksgiving dinner. There have been a couple years here and there when I wasn’t cooking, due to general malaise or whatever. And one year we had Thanksgiving at my daughter’s, which was delightful. The festivities included the fried turkey experiment, which made a memory I cherish to this day.
*Thanks mom... at least I had the balls to try ;)
 
Ever try to deep-fry a turkey when it’s 20 degrees outside? Not pretty, people: you have a driveway full of men flapping their arms to keep warm while the oil never rises above 200 degrees and women in the kitchen waiting for the sounds of explosions and fire trucks. But I digress.
 
I’ve learned that Thanksgiving leftovers, like in-laws, lose their charm after 3 or 4 days, no matter how creatively you attempt to disguise them. And despite my annual pleas, Mr. Wonderful continues to insist that his 25-pound poultry is not too big for four people. So I know a little something about leftovers.
 
Which brings me to this morning. I decided to turn my leftover cranberry sauce (which everyone demands but nobody really eats) into barbecue sauce. I’ll simmer a some turkey in it when I get home from work, slice it up and shovel it into tortillas with some onions and avocado. So here’s the sauce:

SHOPPING LIST:
1 cup cranberry sauce (the whole berry kind is best, but got ahead and use that canned abomination)
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 TBS Cumin
1 TBS Chile powder
1/2 tsp Adobo powder
1/2 tsp. Chipotle powder
2 TBS Chopped Fresh Cilantro
1/4 Diced Yellow onion
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce

LET'S GET COOKING!!
 
Simmer all ingredients in a small saucepan for about 3 minutes, let cool and refrigerate until use.
NOTE: I have a heavy hand with spices—you may want to start with half my measurements and work your way up. Cayenne is also good, but Mr. Martini  believes I’m attempting manslaughter whenever I use it. Apparently in his boyhood Irish/German household, pepper was the cutting edge spice. So you go right ahead and add some cayenne--I just don't want to get the lawyers involved.
Let me know if you like it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind!

Share The Crazy!!!